A Creative Eye

 I spend a lot of time thinking about how some people can see things when they close their eyes. For example, close your eyes and picture an apple. Can you visualize it, as if it's right there in front of you? Can you spin it around and see all the angles? The top and the bottom? When I close my eyes, I can imagine an apple, maybe I sort of know that the apple is red, and the leaves are green, and the general shape, but I can't see it in front of me. 

My major is digital design, and I'm minoring in painting and drawing. I'd say when it comes to drawing I'm okay, but recently I've been practicing drawing what I can see. For example sitting in a room and drawing everything I can see with the right perspective. Making sure all the objects and shelfs have the right angle of line and the right shadows in the right places. I've also been practicing drawing faces. I think it really helps me drawing references so I can practice putting the right features in the right places.


These are a few of the things I've done recently. Getting the shadows the right amount of dark and making everything the right size really takes a lot of practice. 

What I'm getting at here is that I think creativity is an individual thing, whatever comes to you and what you make of it. But I think in creativity, at least when it comes to me, has a lot to do with your eyes, literally and your mind's eye. The ability to truly see can boost creativity and unlock so many new abilities within you. 


Comments

  1. Part of my downfall in the concept of creativity is that I am one of those people who thinks art has a major influence on how creative a person can be. While I've started learning that isn't the case, your drawings are amazing and look 10x better than anything I could come up with. Maybe I should watch some more youtube tutorials (lol). I agree with your point of creativity being whatever comes to a person and what they make of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the same way in terms of using your mind's eye. It's something that I've been working on this semester too, to get out of my usual way of designing and find more diverse influences.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment